Chinese New Year of the Pig – Sticky Asian Pork Neck
For those playing along at home, Chinese New Year of the Pig comes around every 12 years, and 2019 is the year since the mid-2000’s. Jason and I feel connected to Year of The Pig because Jason was born in the Year of the Pig, we were married in the Year of the Pig and our farm…well, we’re obviously pretty crazy about pigs!
In celebration for 2019 as the Year of the Pig we’ve roasted up pork neck in a deliciously sticky Asian Pork Neck recipe (original recipe by Donna Hay).
STICKY ASIAN PORK NECK
This will feed around 4-5 people
500-600gm Pork Neck (this is a half serve if using a full neck double the below ingredients)
20g ginger, sliced
2-3 cloves of garlic
2 star anise
1 red chilli, halved
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup Shaoxing (Chinese cooking wine)
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius
- In a jug mix sugar, Shaoxing, oyster sauce and five spice until sugar is dissolved
- Place pork, ginger, garlic, chilli and star anise in a deep, heavy based pan with a lid
- Pour sauce mixture over the meat and put lid on.
- Cook for 2 hours, turning halfway through
- Increase heat to 200 degrees and cook for a further 30 minutes or until the pork is sticky and tender